Thank you to everyone who read, commented or wrote to me about my recent opinion piece. I was concerned about mixing food and politics but all of you put my concerns to rest. During the past week I’ve received an overwhelming amount of support and encouragement. But I was most touched by those of you who shared your personal stories with me.
Please continue to share your stories and speak out about how our governor’s policies are affecting Mainers. We have got to make sure we are heard and not just swept under the carpet. LePage has to be held accountable for his actions and constantly reminded that he also represents the 61% of us that didn’t vote for him.
Now to truly thank all of you I’ve decided to share my beloved Chocolate Espresso Cheesecake Brownie recipe. This recipe has been perfected after several different tests and now I can say with confidence that these are the best darn brownies I’ve ever had. Seriously. I was hoping to take some gorgeous shots of the finished brownies but then my hungry family devoured them in no time at all and is now demanding a second batch!
(Also for those of our who have been asking about the apple pie recipe, it will be posted next.)
Chocolate Espresso Cheesecake Brownies
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh brewed espresso (brewed coffee will also work but make sure it isn’t flavored)
- 1/3 cup cocoa (preferably Dutch-processed)
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 6 ounces Callebaut Espresso chunks (if not available use any other bittersweet espresso chocolate. I recommend Ghirardelli Espresso Escape Intense Dark Chocolate Bar. If using the bar break it up into 1/2 inch chunks)
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract